Scientific work involves a significant amount of reading. How about increasing your reading speed by 30-100% (depending on text difficulty and English proficiency) while at the same time improving your reading quality… and boosting your motivation?
10.06.2020 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
13.07.2020 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
plus 1h Feedback-Session (date fixed via Doodle poll)
plus Speed Reading Online Course: within four weeks from the first webinar, free time allocation
Doctoral researchers and postdocs
Number of Participants
Reading is a crucial ingredient for productivity in the workplace and a gateway to knowledge. Yet, reading training usually stops at primary school, and nowadays we are ill equipped for dealing with the mass of information confronting us. The aim of the course is to double your reading efficiency. The course is carefully planned to enable the immediate success of each participant.
- Analysis of existing reading skills, detection of restricting habits
- Exercises for reducing the three main reading faults, partly supported by specially developed technical devices
- Introduction and training of new reading techniques
- Demonstration of the relationship between reading technique and concentration/memory retention
- Motivating reading tests, in which participants ascertain their progress in objective figures (among others the Effective Reading Rate) and learn how to implement their new techniques in their everyday work.
1. Pre-course Webinar session (2 hours, English)
- Introduction and advice on reading scientific texts
2. Speed Reading Online Course
- 10 units (45-60 minutes each)
- Flexible training during 2-4 weeks, no fixed times/dates
- Trainer accompaniment 4 weeks from your first log-in
3. Videochat (ca. 1h) during Speed Reading Online
- Half of the online course should be finished
4. After-Course Webinar session (2 hours, English)
- Feedback and further advice on reading scientific texts
5. Optional: Speed Reading Online Refresher Course (German only)
- Additional tests, exercises and guided text exercise with your own text
Please be aware that this online course requires a high degree of self-discipline – for you to finish the course entirely, carefully follow the instructions and participate in all three webinar sessions.
- PDF workbook (German or English) including the complete course theory
- Series of 12 e-mails (“Transferimpulse”, in German) sent out immediately after finishing Speed Reading Online which help you apply the learnt techniques/strategies in your everyday reading (optionally)
- Alumni website (in German) containing training material and tools is freely accessible for all former participants
1 Credit Point can be obtained by attending this course. Please contact your faculty for the recognition of performance for the doctoral degree.
The Research Academy Leipzig covers the participation fees for all doctoral and postdoctoral researchers of Leipzig University.
- Friedrich Hasse, M.A.
Improved Reading Trainer since 2003 in German and English in many scientific institutions (Fraunhofer, Max Planck and Helmholtz institutes, graduate schools of many universities), governmental institutions and companies; co-author of the best-selling book „Schneller lesen - besser verstehen” ("Read faster with better comprehension”).