The vice-rector for Research and Young Scientists chairs the directorate of the Research Academy Leipzig. Its members include the managing director of the academy, director of the Leibniz Programme, the directors of each of the three Graduate Centres, three members of the Research Commission, representatives for the Faculties, and the speaker for the doctoral representatives.
The directorate’s responsibilities include:
- Coordinating the Research Academy’s scientific programme
- Development and allocation of resources to the Graduate Centres
- Development and supervision of quality assurance standards
- Decisions concerning the establishment, modification, and closure of programme classes
- Coordinating qualification programmes and ensuring the cohesiveness class organization
- Awarding scholarships from funds assigned to the Research Academy Leipzig
- Reporting to the Academic Advisory Board
- Developing and implementing the gender equality concept of Leipzig University
- Developing strategies for internationalisation, alumni work, and the advancement of postdocs
Academic Advisory Board
The Academic Advisory Board evaluates the academic activities of the Research Academy. For this purpose, the director of Research Academy Leipzig submits a report every three years to the Academic Advisory Board. Based on this report, it makes recommendations for further developments. Every six years, the Academic Advisory Board conducts a comprehensive review of the Research Academy Leipzig.
As a rule, the Academic Advisory Board is made up of six external representatives who have outstanding reputations in their disciplines. The directorate of the Research Academy has the right to recommend three members, and the university rector in consultation with the rector’s office and the board of trustees appoints the remaining three. The term of service is three years; and members can serve no more than two consecutive terms.
Prof. Dr. Manfred Salmhofer
Frau Dr. Henrike Hartmann
Prof. Dr. Peter Scherrer
University of Graz